Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why does God enrich people?



"Remember this saying, “A few seeds make a small harvest, but a lot of seeds make a big harvest.”   God gives seed to farmers and provides everyone with food. He will increase what you have, so that you can give even more to those in need. You will be blessed in every way, and you will be able to keep on being generous. Then many people will thank God when we deliver your gift."
2 Corinthians 9:6, 10-11 CEVUK00


Why does God enrich people? At least one answer is: So that they can help others. 


Bill and Melinda Gates were criticized for years for not giving enough of their wealth to others. They were labeled "selfish" "stingy" etc. Then they set up the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, gave away their wealth and dedicated themselves to changing the world in ways that work. They didn't give their wealth away to satisfy their critics - someone might give part of their wealth to get critics off their back, but not the bulk of their wealth. How they are investing their wealth says a lot about the kind of people they are.

Seeds are meant to be sown. Your resources (your time, talents, material goods, etc.) are your seeds. If you don't plant them, they can't multiply. The scripture above says that "God gives seed to farmers" AND "provides everyone with food." Not everyone is a farmer, but God uses the farmers to provide food for everyone. 


Am I a farmer? Am I sowing generously? 

I don't think I can trick God into giving me wealth, and honestly I don't want to be wealthy. I don't care about wealth, but I would like to continue to "be blessed in every way, and be able to keep on being generous". In my case, I think that I need to sow more seeds. I want to keep on being generous, so I need to keep on being generous. If God, who is generous, blesses my generosity and enables me to do even more, then I will. If, in his wisdom, He decides it is someone else's turn to be generous to me - that's okay too. 





No comments :

Post a Comment