Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ask the witnesses, dummy!

I re-read Hebrews 12:1 in a different version this morning and got hammered:

Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won't let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us.

I was asking the question "what is it that is slowing me down?" when it hit me "Ask the witnesses dummy!" The scripture says that there is a "large crowd of witnesses all around us!" The witnesses include those who have already finished their race, but there are also a lot of witnesses who are running alongside us right now. They haven't finished their races yet, but they witness my life. I'm pretty sure that if I ask them they will be able to point out some of the things that are slowing me down in the race of faith. All I have to do is ask.

I could ask Dennis, Steve, Pastor Jorge, Pastor Ruel, Kevin, and Ione. They will tell me what is slowing me down. I might not like their answers, but they will speak the truth in love. The truth is "we don't see ourselves very objectively". We lie to ourselves all the time. We need friends who will speak truth into our lives. If you want to run well, find some mature Christians, some witnesses to speak truth into your life on a regular basis. You will be a witness for them as they are witnesses for you. They won't be looking for faults, they will also tell you where you are running well, and they will encourage you.

Here's the big question: Are you serious? Do you really want to know? Ouch!

No comments :

Post a Comment