Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Seduction


I was given the Daily Bread book My Soul Thirsts for God, a collection of meditations on Psalms. As I read Psalm 1 this morning it struck me that this Psalm, the doorway Psalm is designed to draw the reader into the whole book of Psalms and perhaps into the whole Bible. He makes clear the benefits of reading, meditating and acting on the Word, AND he does this in an intriguing way. He talks about meditation AS he takes you through a simple and obvious practice of meditation. It is so simple that it is almost impossible to miss. The reader feels the payback immediately.

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, 
                                              nor stands in the way of sinners, 
                                                    nor sits in the seat of scoffers;   

The reader sees the progression: walk -> stand -> sit -> what's next? (lie down with ...) and thinks "I'm meditating! I saw that! Did anyone else notice that?" Wow!" It is perfect pedagogy, and we are seduced into reading and meditating and hopefully obeying the Word.


No comments :

Post a Comment