Friday, September 5, 2014

Hiding from the all present God

I've been reading Your God is too safe by Mark Buchanan. In the chapter on practicing the presence of God he suggests that since God is everywhere "in Him we live, move and have our being", then interacting with the omni-present God should be natural and easy. The truth is that we go out of our way to hide, and like Jonah, to run away from God. As I read this, I realized that I avoid God. I avoid talking to him, I ignore him, I attempt the impossible: to hide from him.

Why? I want to understand this. Is it shame? Am I like Peter saying "get away me from Lord, for I am a sinner" or Isaiah "I am a man with unclean lips and I live among a people with unclean lips." Is it stubborness? Do I want to do what I want to do, without asking God's opinion? For many years I've operated under the maxim "it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission". At it's core, it is a disrespectful rebellious attitude.

Lord, show me why I hide from you. Help me deal with those things that keep me in a "distant land".

No comments :

Post a Comment