Saturday, May 16, 2015

Journey towards judgment and eternity

Growing up in a family of 6 kids I felt that my parents had favorites. Dad invested more time in the eldest Stephen and mom doted on Warren the youngest son. Being in the middle I was often overlooked (which sometimes has its advantages). But it was also painful.

My heavenly Father has no favorites. His judgment will not be clouded by sentiment. Judgment (punishment?) or reward will be according to what you do. Can Christians be punished, rebuked, assessed, exposed, etc. If we are shown to be children of God then we won't be punished for sin, but our lives will be exposed and assessed and rewarded or not.

1 Peter 1:17 NLT
And remember that the heavenly Father to whom you pray has no favorites. He will judge or reward you according to what you do. So you must live in reverent fear of him during your time here as “temporary residents.”

What shall I do? I can't change the past so dwelling on my failures or successes is useless. It will all come to light and God will assess the mess.

Today, right now I can live in reverent fear, awe of God, remembering who he is and remembering that life here is a temporary sojourn. I am made for eternity, but what I do now will effect my eternity.

Heavenly Father, I know you will someday assess and judge my life. You created me and have the right to do so. Help me today to fear you, to live in reverent awe. My journey is mostly over. Some of it has been dismal, but I will leave judgment to you. Today help me to live in the light of eternity, to stay in awe of you, intent on experiencing your grace and love, and help me to show rust grace and love to others. Amen.


No comments :

Post a Comment