Thursday, February 2, 2017

Arrival - what will you do in heaven?

I dreamed last night about Dad. It's been more than a year since he died. I think it was the movie "Arrival" that stimulated my dream. In the dream one of the grandchildren asked a healthy Dad "what do you want to do when you get to heaven?". He answered "that's a good question! Maybe I'll go fishing or camping".

I'm not sure why that is connected to the movie "Arrival" but I feel that it is. In the movie the heroine, a linguistics expert, is called in to help decipher the language of alien (octopi-like) creatures who have arrived in 12 locations around earth. It turns out that the aliens experience time in a non linear fashion so as the linguist begins to understand their language she also begins to experience time in a non linear way and conversations from the future impact her actions and she is able to "save the world".

What conversations would a future me have with me today? What would a future me who has experienced heaven say to me today? What would I like to do when I get to heaven? Does it matter? Is heaven even about me?

No comments :

Post a Comment